Happy Labor Day weekend!!! I have the perfect side dish for you to take to your weekend festivities. I’m willing to bet this will be the first thing to disappear at any party! I had to double the recipe just to keep up with my family of 4! Cowboy Caviar is on heavy repeat at our house! As a mom, I love any dish that I can make the night before. If we do have leftovers (which is rare) it is even better for lunch the next day!
As a dietitian, I’m always looking for superfood powerhouses to feed my family. Cowboy Caviar contains 4 superfoods: beans, avocados, tomatoes and cilantro. You can just imagine my happiness as my family gobbles it up and asks for seconds! Cowboy Caviar contains beans, one of my favorite sources of plant nutrition. Not only do they provide you a nice dose of protein, they supply you with 6 grams of fiber in just 1/2 cup! I tell my clients they need to be watching their fiber intake above anything else. Fiber helps to lower your blood sugar, cholesterol level, helps to maintain healthy bowel movements and weight. Avocados are high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and high in fiber. They are rich sources of potassium, folate and vitamin K. Tomatoes are high in many vitamins and minerals including lycopene, which is great for overall health. Cilantro contains a chemical compound that binds and loosens toxic heavy metals from the body’s tissues.
As always, my recipes are gluten free and plant based. I’d love to know what your favorite dishes are to share!
Cowboy Caviar Ingredients
- 2 cans organic mixed beans
- 1 can organic corn
- 1 can organic black-eyed peas
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes, chopped into halves
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minsed
- 1 tb cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Open, drain and rinse the canned ingredients. Add them to the large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, avocado, green onions and cilantro.
- Stir all the ingredients together and let sit for a few hours to marinate.