I love making my own granola. Store bought granola is full of excess sugar and fat. When granola is made correctly, you can have tons of flavor and richness with a fraction of the fat and sugar. I love using coconut oil as my fat source. I opt for refined coconut oil, because my family does not enjoy the taste of coconut oil as much as I do. To add a little sweetness, I like to stick with natural sources. My favortites are pure maple syrup, raw honey, raw sugar and coconut sugar. My recipe is a base formula. Feel free to mix up the ingredients to suit your taste!
This granola recipe is perfect for topping oatmeal or my favorite Acai Smoothie Bowls! Below is a video of yours truly making them!
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup natural sugar (I used raw honey this time!)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix very well to combine!
- Transfer the mixture to a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- The granola will stay fresh in an air tight container for up to a week. It has never lasted longer than 24 hours in my house though!